Monday, September 14, 2009

Jump in the Water

This week, I'd like you all to do a short post on one of the following topics:

Link (using the link feature) to one recent mass media related news story, blog entry, video, or event that you find interesting. Briefly explain why you chose it and what’s interesting about it. (or) write a blog describing what kind of mass media consumer you are. What is the role of mass media in your life? How important is it to you? Do you think you are an "expert" or very familiar with some area of the media?

As for myself, I am an avid media consumer, despite my constant questioning/critique of many of the messages, structures and cultural values that bring this media to me. Though I will always try to get you to question the mass media, I am definitely not the person to tell you throw your TV out the window. I enjoy TV as entertainment and escape, enjoy discussing media events with friends, and am very devoted to a number of shows (Mad Men is my favorite right now!). I think there is an enormous spectrum of content out there, from horrible to wonderful, and that even the "worst" of mass media is fodder for dissection. Trainwreck TV is there for a reason.

On the other hand, I have some spots of resistance. Sometimes I feel too dependent on mass media, especially when it comes to my Internet addiction. These days I try to remember what I did with my time before we were on the internet 24/7 (the days of dial-up!), because it often feels like I am in front of my computer all day, and that I NEED the Internet. I think new gadgets that allow me to get on the Internet anywhere, anytime are cool, yet I doubt I really need to be that connected.

I also resent the rising costs involved in being connected- fancy cable services and internet services are not cheap, and there are limited options in any area. Yet the options many of us turn to amounts to "stealing." I stick to basic cable, and rely on the Internet to keep me up to date on the rest of media land. I support efforts to make internet access available to more people, cheaply, such as efforts to wire entire cities (even though they haven't been that successful. See The Trouble With Hooking Up, Boston Globe)

ETA (Edited to Add): I definitely have two hats when it comes to viewing/analyzing mass media: my layperson/audience hat and my academic hat. Sometimes I just sit back and enjoy, taking the content for what it is, while other times I get more critical and analytic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment